US Visa for Parent – Sponsor your Parent to Move to the USA

Family Based Sponsorship – US Citizen Child

US Immigration - Citizen Sponsor Child over 21If you are the parent of a U.S. citizen who is older than 21 years of age, you can become a lawful permanent resident (get a Green Card) based on your family relationship. In this category, a child may sponsor their biological parent, step-parent (if the marriage to the biological parent occurred before the child’s 18th birthday), or adoptive parent (if the adoption occurred before the child’s 16th birthday).

Eligibility for Adjustment of Status

Foreign nationals who are physically present in the US may apply to Adjust their Status to Permanent Resident, provided they were lawfully admitted to the US and remain in valid status. If you plan to pursue this option, it is highly advisable to speak with an immigration attorney to ensure your documents are properly filed, and that you are aware of key regulations regarding the timing of your application and your ability to subsequently depart the United States.

Consular Based Green Card

Foreign nationals who are located outside the US may have their US Citizen Child file the I-130 petition with USCIS to start their green card application process. Once the I-130 petition is approved, the case would be forward to the National Visa Center for processing of the immigrant visa application at a US Consulate / Embassy in the beneficiary’s home country. The beneficiary may travel to the US while the application is in process, provided they possess a valid visa stamp or are eligible for the visa waiver program. However, please note that if the beneficiary is traveling to the US pursuant to a nonimmigrant visa (e.g. B-2, TN, etc.), they must possess the intent to remain in the US temporarily. In other words, the beneficiary cannot permanently move to the US until their immigrant visa is approved by the US Consulate / Embassy in their home country.